[image description: a yellow banner reading “queer books for hufflepuff” is surrounded by six book covers of the titles listed below]
Yes, I have saved the best for last! I myself am a VERY proud Hufflepuff - if you’re curious why, check my personal tumblr’s Hufflepuff tag, particularly this post. In general, I see us Puffs as gentle souls who always aim to be helpful and hopeful despite a lack of more formal smarts or skills.
This is the final of my four recommended reading lists of queer and queer-ish books, organized by Hogwarts houses. Check out previous posts on Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. And enjooooy!
A Queer and Pleasant Danger: The True Story of a Nice Jewish Boy Who Joins the Church of Scientology and Leaves Twelve Years Later to Become the Lovely Lady She is Today by Kate Bornstein
This newest memoir is actually one of the few of Auntie Kate’s books that I haven’t read, but I couldn’t resist the Hufflepuff-yellow cover. Open, honest and compassionate, Bornstein’s books always feel like a big hug and kiss to outcasts everywhere.
Will Grayson Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
Green might be the most famous living Puff since he proclaimed it on The Late Late Show. I’m not sure what Levithan’s sorting is, but this book - about two boys with one name, how people come together and how they drift apart - is definitely a good one for us sensitive badgers.
Ask the Passengers by A.S. King
I was tempted at first to prescribe this YA book to Ravenclaws, as its heroine, Astrid, is a philosophy nerd who regularly meets with her invisible friend Socrates. She does, however, nickname him Frank and compare him to a cute dog. Moreover, her questions are more of the heart than the head: How can I be seen for who I am? Why isn’t equality easy? Where can my love be safe?
10,000 Dresses by Marcus Ewert and Rex Ray
Need a bright dose of hope? Pick up this beautiful children’s book about a young trans girl who finds someone who believes in her dreams and appreciates her for just who she is.
Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life by Marshall B. Rosenberg
A great resource for shy or insecure Hufflepuffs who have trouble communicating, or badger activists who want to get their words across without invalidating anyone’s feelings and experiences. If you get too overwhelmed by conversation, I also recommend The Highly Sensitive Person.
Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block
While I strongly prefer the Dangerous Angel books that focus on Witch Baby, Weetzie’s sunny but sensitive disposition is probably more Hufflepuff appropriate. Her naïveté fits perfectly with mainstream perceptions of Puffs, while her big deep loud love for her chosen family is reminiscent of Hufflepuff as I know it.
- peadragon reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- resonatealyssa likes this
- calumhoodiee reblogged this from queerbookclub
- hailtothepumpkinkingg likes this
- nielution reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- acidphantom likes this
- miraclesandmeatballs likes this
- girlknowsbooks reblogged this from thegayya
- girlknowsbooks likes this
- riot-grrrlz reblogged this from thegayya
- hobomystical likes this
- starbuckedlovers likes this
- the-prince-ali reblogged this from thegayya
- 5ullen likes this
- thegayya reblogged this from queerbookclub
- spoopy-thief likes this
- joey-hazell reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- thoughtsofalibrarian reblogged this from fictional-redheads
- kayteesometimes reblogged this from presidentjohnkennedy
- demi-femme reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- toreferbackto reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- mermaidmadoka likes this
- tyrannosaurme likes this
- ducksndragons likes this
- younggsensei likes this
- younggsensei reblogged this from a-cumberbatch-of-cookies
- amarettoshawty likes this
- i-am-a-punj-nerd reblogged this from a-cumberbatch-of-cookies
- whovianinhyrule likes this
- pineappleapocalypse likes this
- charlie-jackpot likes this
- over-ordinary likes this
- skeletonpun likes this
- andpotter reblogged this from queerbookclub
- peopleareaproblem likes this
- ninapedia likes this
- backwardblackbyrd reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- simplisticintrovert likes this
- bilbo-swaggins-of-swag-end reblogged this from pumpkabookiss
- bilbo-swaggins-of-swag-end likes this
- annie-bee likes this
- xrecidivism likes this
- velveteenbunnies likes this
- la-russe-rousse likes this
- nekomikochu reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism
- nekomikochu likes this
- adressatieandacoffee likes this
- glitterypieceofcute reblogged this from fandomsandfeminism