books BY trans women? (esp. but not limited to feminist books)
Is there a list somewhere of books by trans women? Especially books on feminism by trans women, but in general any books by trans women would be good, non-fic or fic.
Please note I am looking for books by trans women. That is, books which trans women have written. Just bolding that because otherwise I’ll get a torrent of books with “trans woman” characters by cis people.
If you don’t know where there’s a list, I’m also interested in hearing about books one-by-one. If there is no list, maybe we can begin compiling one…
I’ll start with a few off the top of my head:
- Roz Kaveney’s writing (too many to list! but recently fiction in the Rhapsody of Blood series)
- Imogen Binnie, Nevada
- Anna Anthropy, Rise of the Videogame Zinesters
- Janet Mock’s upcoming Redefining Realness
- Julia Serano, Whipping Girl and Excluded
Assuming that since nobody’s mentioned one, there isn’t any known compiled list anywhere. Shameful.
From reblogs and other comments, I’m adding to this one:
- Raewyn Connell (many books published under her dead name)
- Zowie Davy, Recognizing Transsexuals
- Jennifer Finney Boylan
- Vivian Namaste, Invisible Lives
- KittyburgerMN’s stories
Keep them coming!
Ryka Aoki, Seasonal Velocities
Lovemme Corazón, Trauma Queen
Toni Newman, I Rise
Susan Stryker, Transgender History
Susan Jane Bigelow’s books
Caitlin Kiernan’s books
Queer books out in March 2014. Know any others?
[Image description: ten book covers, including Prarie Ostrich by Tamai Kobayashi, Mysterious Acts by My People by Valerie Wetlaufer, Hold Tight Gently: Michael Callen, Essex Hemphill, and the Battlefield of AIDS by Martin Duberman, Underserved Women of Color: Claiming a Seat at the Table edited by Sonja M. Brown Givens and Keisha Edwards Tassie, Eating Fire: My Life as a Lesbian Avenger by Kelly Cogswell, Jacob’s New Dress by Sarah Hoffman, Ian Hoffman and Chris Case, This Way to the Sugar by Hieu M. Nguyen, Part the Hawser Limn the Sea by Dan Lopez, Pregnant Butch: Nine Long Months Spent in Drag by A.K. Summers, and The Sowing by Steven Dos Santos.]
[image description: the covers of approximately 55 diverse books!]
To celebrate the (approximate) 1-year anniversary of Diversity in YA’s launch on tumblr, we’re giving away all these books! Thank you for celebrating diversity in young adult books with us and continuing to engage in dialogue and increasing awareness!
(To view a document listing all the titles, click here.)
Here’s how this is going to work:
- We’ve divided these books into 4-packs of diverse awesomeness. Don’t worry, series titles will all be kept together, so you won’t end up getting a middle book or a third book in a trilogy without the others.
- We have multiple copies of some titles, so some of them will go into several prize packs.
- We’ll select 17 winners, each of whom will receive a prize pack of 4 books!
- Because of the large number of titles and the cost of international shipping, we’re only able to ship to U.S. mailing addresses. International folks may enter as long as they have a U.S. mailing address.
- Teachers and librarians get an extra entry!
- The deadline to enter is March 31, 2014.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
(If you can’t see the Rafflecopter entry form on your tumblr dash, you can also enter at our website.)
Thank you so much to the following publishers for donating books to our Anniversary Giveaway:
Amazing giveaway from an excellent blog! Darn my Canadian mailing address…
Guys! LUMBERJANES #1 is coming out April 9th!
As you may recall, LUMBERJANES is a story about five badass girls who are best friends and go to camp and fight monsters in the woods! You can read more about it here
, and here
But just because it’s being published, doesn’t mean it’ll stick around. The most important thing you can do to make sure that BOOM! Box can keep publishing LUMBERJANES for as long as possible is pre-order LUMBERJANES #1 at your local comic book store.
Comic book retailers aren’t allowed to return any comics that they order for their store and can’t sell — because of that, they generally play it safe and order mainly what they know their customers will buy. Let them know you want LUMBERJANES and more comics like it.
These comic book store sales numbers determine whether we can keep making the book! You can read more about how comic book distribution works and why pre-ordering is so important in this fantastic post by Kelly Sue DeConnick here
Here’s what you gotta do: 1) Print this form out today.
2) Fill it out, including how many copies at $3.99 you’d like to purchase.
3) Bring it into your local comic shop on Wednesday
when you go buy new comics, or if you’ve never been to your local comic shop, you can find one here
. You can take it in anytime before March 16!
That’s the cut-off date for pre-orders!
4) Pick up your LUMBERJANES comic on April 9th and be like, “Dang, this rocks the most!”
Download the PDF version here!
JOIN THE REVOLUTION! KICK BUTT, TAKE NAMES! FRIENDSHIP TO THE MAX!
I am starting my first ever pull list at my local comic book store and subscribing to this! If teen girls kicking supernatural butt sounds like something you’d like, you should check the heck out of LUMBERJANES .
And yes, it looks like two of the girls will be a couple!